Monday, January 26, 2009

Mail's Here! With Pictures.

Erika's class has been reading "Why We Need Mail Carriers" this week. Being a mail carrier would be freaking tasty, as long as you lived someplace...well, not here. Too much cold for me to celebrate walking outside for hours. But somewhere warmer it would be terrific to experience all seasons and get paid to be outside. I don't know what the monetary benefits are, but I would be content with free stamps, particularly if they were of the orange variety. Also, if you're a mail carrier, you don't get the demanding customers you would if you worked inside the post office. Plus!

But, alas, there are gigantic icicles hanging off all sides of my house, and my feet remain cold most of the day. So, at least until Spring, I am content to simply receive mail, and this week has been delicious regarding teh packages:
1. A few months back I sent a self-addressed, stamped envelope to You Are Beautiful, and subsequently completely forgot about it. So it was both confusing and awesome to have an envelope with my handwriting come in late last week. You Are Beautiful is this campaign that puts up fabulous art installations are all over the country (have they gone international?), reminding people of their sexiness regardless of constructed societal definitions. Anyway, they send you stickers and you glitter your community with positive thoughts. Stay tuned for photos!

2. Some of us don't have shame anymore, as a consequence of Quaker colleges and friends with no concept of boundaries. Mix that together with a little Girls With Slingshots, and you've got Kymba wearing a bright pink shirt with an empowered vagina on it. Right now it's cycling through the washer, but here's the design (from Danielle Corsetto's amazingly ridiculous mind):

You guys should seriously read GWS. It's superb.

3. As if I don't seem liberal enough from the rest of this mail sharing, I decided to go ahead and support pro-community, anti-corporate Anarchists by purchasing the Slingshot Organizer 2009:

Next to my bag with the ghetto embroidered tree and Obama pin. What?
Yes, I realize it is kinda anti-Anarchic to have a political pin.

The Slingshot Collective is epic, and puts out its own radical newspaper and these great organizers filled with doodles, guides, and a handy-dandy menstrual calendar! Normally I would play "Support Your Local, Independent Bookstore" for such an item, but was a couple months late to the game and they had all SOLD OUT. But Microcosm Publishing is quite a wonderful independent business as well, and managed to send a lovely orange one for me and green one for Erika. Thank you kindly!

Erika doin' some Anarchy book-learnin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment