Wednesday, January 21, 2009

New Year, New Blog, New Job, New President, New Craft.

I've decided/discovered that it takes me a year and a half to adapt to new situations enough to let out my complete awesomeness. I cite high school, college, and after-college adulthood as evidence. Just crossing the year-and-a-half-after-college line now, we'll see how things keep developing. Obviously, proof of the effective transition into exploding people's minds with my awesomeness is my recent dive into voluntary unemployment. Unlike other people who actually wanted to keep their jobs, the record unemployment rate for my lifetime seemed too cool to fly over safely. The new year seemed like a good diving board, as perhaps other spectacular idiots such as myself actually believed in the cleansing power of the newest last digit. So, here I am. It's like a grand pool party where no one knows how to swim, and I grabbed a pina colada before getting in...basically, I plan to make this look good.

The decision for a new craft was not born out of similar delusions, but rather a higher understanding of my inner self...I'm terribly lazy. Or, more positively, knitting was going
nowhere for me. I was knitting and purling, but never seemed to get any better. The monotony (diotony?) of these two stitches left me wanting, since I could only make hats and scarves that took weeks while other people took hours. Oh, sure, one could point to the fact that up until November of last year I was on a cotton-only yarn strike as a tribute to my eczema-suffering brethren, and the size 7 martyr needles that went along with that, but the conclusion is that crochet is now my yarncraft of choice. In addition to swifter hats and neat knots, I have ability and courage to test the limits of crafting! One soiree of knottery was so intense it required me to wear goggles (plus, undiagnosed possible wool allergy).

In an effort to be egalitarian towards both halves of the yarn revolution, I often brag the positives of both knitting and crocheting and swear my allegiance to neither. However, for the time being, the better results of mutli-colored yarn and undeniable resilience of knitted things is simply not enough for me to call off this current hiatus.

As a quick last note, the fabulous Barack Obama became our new president yesterday, among an air of new possibility and the release of the new Reel Big Fish CD. It's definitely a proud time to be a ska-loving American citizen, and I plan to take advantage of the new opportunities (to serve or to
skank) these outstanding people are providing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment